- Ph.D. IIT, Madras 1989
- M Tech IIT, Madras 1982
- B. E.(Hons) Univ. of Madras 1980
Courses offered in the last five years
- E2 212 Matrix Theory
- E9 261 Speech Information Procesing
- E1 244 Document Analysis & Recognition
- E9 201 Digital Signal Processing
- E9 241 Digital Image Processing E1 215 Biometrics
Awards / Honours / Affiliations
- Sir Andrew Watt Kay Award from Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, 1992
- Prof. M Anandakrishnan Award 2013 from INFITT for the best paper (handwriting recognition) .
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers (India) and Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers.
- Senior Member, IEEE (EMBS and SP Societies)
- Ex-President, Biomedical Engineering Society of India.
- Manthan Award 2014 for e-accessibility and inclusion
Current Research areas
- Machine Listening
- Landmark detection in speech
- Machine learning in images, audio and handwriting
- Neuro-inspired Pattern Recognition